Monday, April 17, 2006

Oblivion

It's pretty cute when J and his brother have the same video game and need to discuss gaming matters over the phone. J gets rather animated and can give a glowing, accurate, and sometimes mindbogglingly complete review of a game he enjoys, more thorough than any gaming site I've ever seen.

We were out shopping last week when his brother called to let him know he had just bought this game that J had recommended. A half hour conversation ensued as I kept shopping, once in a while wandering off with the cart or looking at him quizzically as I pointed first at one item, then another, then just said screw it and dropped whatever it was into the cart while he chatted.

When we got out to the car and he hung up, he smiled at me "Sorry I was on the phone so long, honey. I hope I didn't embarrass you."
"No no - I know you don't get to talk to your brother that often..."
"But...?" he said, and we both started to laugh.
"But if I have to hear another damn word about 'mages', 'magicka' or 'throwing fireballs' while we're in public, I'm going to have to pretend I don't know you."

No comments: