Tuesday, February 21, 2006

citizen's arrest?

NervousGirl does not handle downtown situations well. Er, I don't mean my "downtown situation" - like a euphemism or something, I mean the city's downtown area, of which our office is adjacent to. I've worked closeby here before and have had a number of odd (and awful) situations come up, but seeing as how practically no one off the street comes in here, I'm a little rusty in my skills. So this dude walks in and is asking what kinda business this is, I'm not sure exactly what he's looking for, but from what he says and seeing as how most everyone who comes in is not looking for our office, I point him in the direction of the office kitty-corner to us. I wait a minute and I don't hear anything, and I didn't see him leave. So I step into the hallway and see that dude is in my boss's office (in the opposite direction), which is open and the boss is not in. He sees me and stutters "uhh uhh, this isn't uh the office you said to go to, is it?" Yeah, fucking right it's not. So I ask rather snippily what exactly does he need and direct him to the other office, who it turns out can't help him with what he asked. He was polite and everything, but I can't help feel like once again I've been duped. I could just be paranoid. It's awful to have to be a bitch and so suspicious with everyone, but you just can't trust people around here. He sure started sweating after I saw him in the hallway. I don't know if my boss's desk drawer had already been open or not, but it is now. He always has this nice silver pen that he uses that now I don't see. So when he gets back, I'll have to tell him that I unknowingly let someone wander around who may or may not have stolen something. What was I supposed to do - demand that he empty his pockets? Citizen's arrest? Then it would sound like I was just being racist, maybe he was just confused. This shit always happens to me. I'm an office assistant, folks - not a fucking security guard. I feel awful. Fuckin Fuck Fuck Shit.


Update 2/22: Boss' expensive pen is not missing. BUT apparently, last night after I left and the lady in the other office was alone - the same dude came back and brought a friend. What the fuck were they here for? She startled them as they were digging through the candy dish out front and told them to get out. No, don't feel bad like they needed to eat or some shit, they just wanted to steal whatever they could get their hands on. I don't like this. I'm not intimidating enough, even though I can unleash the crazy, but who knows what they'd have done if it was me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not so small town that this is the first time anything like this has happened. It just still pisses me off and/or freaks me out. Rrrghhh.

4 comments:

swirly girl said...

When I was working in Detroit, I had a gun pulled on me...Yeah, that was fun.

Nervous said...

Swirly - Holy shit! This is nothing compared to that. It's just that there's that fear... and the fear of not being able to defend myself should I decide to take a stand. I hate for other people at work to think "aww, NervousGirl can't be left alone" but depending where I am, I probably shouldn't be. I want to hear your story, if you feel like sharing it.

BrianAlt said...

Well, I guess you got it right. You are Nervous Girl.

Nervous said...

Hey Jeff! Since I'm feeling a bit more paranoid lately I edited your comment to take out my name and the city. No offense, thanks for your advice!

Jeff said...
I would write down the best description you can come up with, write it down, then ask the other girl for her to do the same, I would call the non-emergency Police number and tell them you'd like to report suspicious activity. They'll be more than happy to send someone by, and who knows, someone else might have reported something or worse case, had an issue with the same guy(s), and you may have clues to help them get those guys. Help yourself and your town by being a good citizen and report suspicious activity. :)