Saturday, September 22, 2007

Dreams... of the future?

Suddenly, we had a new house that we couldn't afford, much larger and much more elegant than anything I had thought we would call home. I loved it, but knew it must be some sort of mistake - it couldn't really be ours. Three bathrooms! Multiple levels! A beautiful view! It was some sort of alternate reality - it was our house but it wasn't - and I guess we figured we'd enjoy it while we could. Then just as suddenly as the house had appeared, I was holding our baby girl. I've seen her in dreams before - big bright eyes and the chubbiest of cheeks. I was kissing her soft little cheeks and then realized I didn't really know what to do with her - she didn't even have a diaper on. She looked up at me and started to fuss and get teary-eyed with a look that said "You don't know what you're doing!" I looked at her and started to get teary-eyed too, and said softly "I'm sorry baby, I don't know what I'm doing..." as I grabbed some paper towels to put under her.

2 comments:

Fluffycat said...

Wow...pretty intense and symbolic. I think it was good that you grabbed the paper towels for the baby. You know sometimes, not knowing what you are doing is okay if you are willing to admit it and work with what is at hand, which is what it sounded like you did.

Anonymous said...

What a surreal dream. I had a dream one time that my hamster gave birth to a kitten and then it turned out that the kitten was MY baby somehow... Ok, I swear I was going somewhere a little more profound than all that. Hope you're feeling better, can't wait to go back and catch up on all the posts I've missed :)