Thursday, December 22, 2005

Fake it 'til you make it

Last night was a whirlwind of shopping and cookie baking. Guess what? The cookies turned out okay! Good, even. Yay! I know, big deal right? The significance of this is that I haven't exactly worked on my "skills" doing anything that might be considered "domestic" but it means more to me now. I think more and more about all the things my mom knew how to do at my age or younger (and with kids to take care of) and how much I suck for not knowing that stuff! Examples:
- I sewed a button back on a pair of pants, and I think it fell off the same day.
- Years ago when I lived with my mom, she left some potatoes boiling on the stove while she went to do something else. She asked me to mash them, and I did - without draining the water first! (Still feel bad about that one.)
- At least I don't mind doing laundry, and with my experience I should be pretty good at it. But I can't guarantee I won't shrink things...
- I don't really enjoy cooking, but if I do make something it's usually all in one skillet.
- My cleaning and organizational skills have dropped from above average to "I'll try to make it look decent for company."

Well, you gotta start somewhere, right? The baking frenzy will continue!

3 comments:

Yossarian said...

best thing, non-lesbian, you've ever written.

Webmiztris said...

ha! mashing with the water in...lol well, some people LIKE them creamy. REALLY creamy... ;)

Wookiee Rage said...

Domesticality is over-rated in this day and age. Sure it would be nice to have a Samatha Stevens, with or without the nose wiggle, waiting at home for me with dinner on the table and my slpppers and a martini at the door but, you know, I'd happily settle for cookies and blowjobs.

so, I doubt you have much to be upset by your lack of traditional domestic womanly skills.